LAHLAH Tells His Musical Story | Demystifies His Single, KELEGBE [MUSIC]



Its another KIND of MUSIC
 
In this interview, Nigeria's up and coming singer, Lahlah (born Oluwafemi Oshinubi)narrated his music sojourn from inception to the birth of his own music studio, Smooke Da Music Record Limited as well as the message behind his single, 'Kelegbe.'

How did you become a producer and what made you become a producer?
I started playing keyboard in church before a friend introduced me to producing. Its inbuilt it has been in me right from time even before I met my friend I remember quiet well I used to make beat on my own. When something is within you, you only need someone to push it out. Its a talent..

What does a producer do? What is the nature of his job?
A producer needs to listen, arrange and make music melodious. To produce an artist, the artiste should have an idea of the pattern he wants his song to take, it helps a producer. Basically the work of a producer is to arrange and beautify the song.


What are the necessary skills I need to have before I can be a producer?
I did not learn under anyone before I became a producer, its comes naturally, it’s a talent’.  Combining music and also being a producer comes easy because of the fact that a producer should also be able to sing. Its not compulsory he signs so well or pitch well, so long he can use the instrument to do that is all right.

Do you play any instrument?
I play the keyboard perfectly, but am not perfect with the guitar and drums.How many artiste have you produced?I have produced SABI with the song SHOW YOUR STYLE, CHIZO with the song DOGOYARO and TBLACK with the song ROBO.Do you have any ablum yet that has been officially released for sales?I haven’t dropped any album yet, still working on it.

Why KELEGBE? What is KELEGBE?
KELEGBE is a game i played while I was growing up. Its basically about bets. The only immunity a person  has in the game is to have a stick of broom with him anytime, anywhere, always. Without the broom I am liable to collect anything he has placed of importance that I feel I should have from him. Without the broom, I am the rightful owner of whatever I choose to collect from you. That’s why am using KELEGBE for the lady I met at the club.

What inspired you to use KELEGBE?
My childhood game inspired me.

What is the message KELEGBE is passing across?
The message behind the song is that is a game, its about taking chances.

What type of song is KELEGBE?
KELEGBE is a dance hall track.What type of music do you do?I do different types of music like Afro hiphop, Makosa hiphop etc.

Why did you choose music?
I choose music because it is sharpening my life, its making my life, when I listen to music I easily let go of  hurts, grudge etc.How long have you been doing music?I have being in music for 3years now and have been a producer for 8years.

You are a music artiste, a producer and you own a studio, which of these is more fulfilling?
Everything works together,  you have to understand the music, entertainment entirely.

Is this job temporary or a permanent job?
It’s a long time job, it takes a while for people to know you its not easy to opt out at that moment, though you don’t have to spend your entire life. You will have to do something else later, look at Celine Dion for example. You will have to opt out later for upcoming ones to come in.

How do you intend to use your music to create a new Nigeria?
It depends on my inspiration, whatever comes into me is what I will drop, its all about inspiration.

Do you plan to retire someday?
No I haven’t, I just started.What advice do you have for upcoming artiste?For upcoming artiste that want their songs to be produced, the challenge we have is money. We cant charge they them so much because we know they cannot afford the bill.

So we are reasonable with our bills because nothing good is free.Is it true you are a  prince?
The king is my step dad, he is exactly what a father is to a son.



How do you feel when people call you Omo Baba Olowo or Omo Oba?
Its an earthly thing, I do not depend on people. I believe in using my God given ability to achieve success in life. At age 12 I started doing odd jobs, I didn’t care my mother and father were millionaires. I keep saying I will only feature a star artist when am already a star.

Did you have any relationship with the late da grin?
The late Da grin was a brother to Tblack. There is a mix up somehow because there is another Lahlah that worked with Dagrin, not my Lahlah.

What is your take on pirates, working against the growth of Nigerian music industry?
I have experienced piracy, they are everywhere in the audio and video market, they are everywhere. we have to stop sales of my first artiste in April because of pirates. Government has tried their best but these people cannot be stopped. That’s why I do not intend to release my album yet until I get it enough promotion. Still I believe my album will be bought within and outside the country.

How do you see the future of Nigerian music industry? The picture you have for it?
We are improving, there is lot of competition in the music industry in years from now we will be meeting up with international standard.

How do you feel being a public figure?
Am proud of the work of God in my life.

How did your parents react to your music career, you choosing music as a choice?
I started with playing the keyboard, at the same time help with the sales at my mum’s shop. I became a keyboard trainee before I finished at the secondary school. As a trainee I needed to keep rehearsing, I never knew my mum noticed my divided attention between the keyboard and her shop. I remember a day she threw my keyboard out of the shop and it broke. This is one of the challenges I have faced so far, still it has not discouraged me because I know where I am going to. Nigerians are yet to discover me.

What is your dream?
My dream is to change the world with my music.

Who is your mentor?
In Nigeria my mentors are, Lagbaja and don jay z. Outside Nigeria, my mentor is jay z and Indian music.  I also listen to inspirational music like Westlife.

This interview was conducted by Adenike Ashogbon

Comments