'My last telephone conversation with my husband' – Amadi’s wife, Toyin [+2 PHOTOS]


Almost a week after the demise of her husband, Toyin Amadi, wife of departed Vanguard Group Entertainment Editor, Mr Amadi Ogbonna is still in shock. The middle aged mother of three boys  is yet to reconcile with the reality that her beloved husband is no more.Sitting pensively in their living room, a lot of things browse through her mind at the same time.Toyin would gaze into space intermittently and at other time, tears would be seen rolling down her cheeks. Showtime shares her ‘pain’ as well as engages her in a conversation that takes her down the memory lane about her love life with her departed hubby.
How did you meet your late husband?

We met in 1992, while living in the same neighbourhood in Ogba, but we got married on June 25, 1996. Before then, I had lost contact with him when I relocated to Victoria Island where I was working. But later, I ran into him again in 1995, somewhere in Ogba. I was inside a bus when he sighted me because I was sitting by the window side.

He immediately shouted out my name “Toyin….waoo…”, and at the same time, he dragged me out of the bus, lifted me up asking: “Where have you been? I’m yet to get married because of you…where have you been?. I didn’t consider his words serious because he usually acted humorously.


He told me to pay him a visit when next I visited Ogba.  Few weeks later when I went to visit my uncle, I decided to stop at his place. Immediately he saw me, he declared that he was getting married to me in that year, but I took everything for his usual jokes. He later visited me at my place, and I took time to ask him  about the women in his life.Later on, I asked about him from a close friend who lived at Ogba and she confirmed that he had become a more serious person. After praying, three months later, I decided to give him a chance. Then he told me he wanted me to be pregnant for him before the wedding. Being a Christian, I objected, but eventually, I became pregnant.

He spoke with my parents and we had the traditional wedding in April 1996. Three days to the chosen date of the court wedding which was June 25, 1996, I went into labour and the baby did not come until the June 25th. I explained to the doctor that I was supposed to have my traditional wedding that morning and he examined me and said I could go and come back since the baby wasn’t coming down. Barely one hour after returning from the wedding to the hospital, I gave birth to Jude Ogbonnaya Amadi. We now have three children in all.

What kind of a husband was he to you?

I do not know the adjective with which to qualify him! He was caring, loving and kind. He was a complete husband; a total package. Though he could be highly temperamental, he was everything. Both our ringtones was a particular music which he knew I loved- Jodie’s Kuchi Kuchi (Oh Baby).

Sometimes when I’m preparing breakfast early in the morning, he would play the song, come to the kitchen, hold me and drag me to the sitting room, and we would dance and dance. Whenever he is angry or I get angry because of something he may have done, he would still come to make me laugh and forget.  At the end of the day, he’ll also apologise. I miss him so much(Crying) and I will forever live to remember him.

…And to his children?

My husband could do anything for his children; he cared so much about them. He would say: “Even if it is only one shirt that I have, I will do everything possible for my children to achieve their dreams in life.” He was a  listening father.  He was good to the extent that my own father loved him so much and always sought his opinion before taking any decision. He usually refer to himself as the first child of my father, and my father took him that way. My sisters also called him “Egbon”. He was like that even to his own family members. He loved everybody!

What would you miss most about him?

He was very caring, and only God can fill this vacuum he has left behind(Crying). Only God! He had just given his life to Christ and was already attending the workers-in-training class. Around 2am on that black Wednesday morning when we were praying together, the major point he emphasised  was that God should have mercy on him and give him the strength to carry on.

I never knew that death was around the corner. Since he gave his life to Christ, he had always been saying: “I want to work for God. My life and story will touch people and will win souls for God. I want to be a pastor.” He had sought to know what the next step would be after the workers-in-training programme  and I told him he would move on to the School of Discipleship, and he indicted  his willingness to continue the journey.

How did you react to the news of his death?

I still want to know what actually happened to my husband. He called to tell me that he was on his way home. Minutes later, my phone rang again, and I heard him  screaming at the other end that he was dying and that I should pray for him. When I tried calling him back, there was no response.  However, between the time he called me and when our pastor came to break the news of his demise,  I’m yet to come to terms with  how it all happened. I want to know what really killed my husband.

Unless I am told what really happened, my conscience will never be at rest. He called to tell me he was on his way home but now, I can’t see him anymore.

Source: VANGUARD

Comments