Bearded Muslims Declare: 'Being Labeled Terrorists Won’t Make Us Shave Our Beards



In Nigeria today, the activities of the religious sect, Boko Haram and the trail of violence that has defined their brutal crusade is one item that millions of families cannot forget in a hurry - especially families who have lost their loved ones to the attacks.

It was on this note that i decided to sample the impulse of Muslims across the country especially bearded Muslims and ask them if they could shave off their beards in a bid to protect themselves from being on the receiving end of religious intolerance.

Kareem Abiodun Sodiq
I can’t shave off my beard just because I’m a Muslim. God said we should fear him and fear the government. God did not tell us to live in fear. People should stop being judgmental. They should leave the matter to God to judge. Enough of all this senseless killings! What can we achieve with violence if not more violence? Nigerians must remain united. Violence is not a way out. We’re just thanking God for a peaceful election and we do not need this kind of thing now. I don’t listen to what people say about me so cutting off my beard is out of the question. Islam preaches peace and not violence. We should stop judging one another. God knows best.

Hassan Ibn Hassan – Imam, Abiola Mosque
In Islam, the Prophet makes us understand that a Muslim is a Muslim’s brother. Islam does not encourage oppression in any form. A Muslim is not allowed to shave off his beard in Islam. Everything that happens is from Allah and to him, we shall return.
Kehinde Dawodu
Shaving off my beard is not an idea I would entertain. It’s not good enough and the same goes for violence. People should learn to leave revenge for Allah. Killing one another is a sin. Terrorism is not Jihad. I wouldn’t shave my beard off for this kind of thing. It has not gotten to that. I was on my way to airport yesterday and it was clear from the way the security operatives were searching vehicles that security has been intensified.

Sodiq Alao
I would never support violence as a solution to violence. I can never cut off my beard. In fact, I’m still working on making it grow longer. I don’t let barbers touch my beard at all.

Abdulrazaq Abdulganiy, Proprietor Al Razzaq School of Arabic and Islamic Agbado Ogun State
On the perceived tag as terrorist, I remain resolute with dictates and tenets of my religion. Let anybody say or do anything he likes. I am not disturbed because I believe in God. I worship Him and He alone has the right over life and death.

Ustaz Mohammed Salahudin - Proprietor, Dar Res Salam Nursery and Primary School, Agbado Ogun State
On terrorist tag, I am undaunted. I stand by my belief and no amount of intimidation can make me change belief in Islam. I was born into the religion. I am living the life of a Muslim and by the grace of Allah (SWT), I will die a Muslim. I can’t shave my beard or change my way of dressing - No way! The war is beyond Bin Laden. It is war against Islam but I know they cannot win because it’s like fighting God.

Mohammed Jamiu
Nothing in this world can change my perception about Islam. I was born a Muslim and Insha Allah, I will die a Muslim.
I am not worshipping Osama bin Laden. Why would some people think because I am wearing a beard, I’m a terrorist? Even if they tag me one, that is their problem. I will not shave my beard off. It is one of the symbols to show the outside world that I am a Muslim.

Abdulakim Ahmad
I will never shave off my beard because some people or group of people tag me a terrorist. If they feel my mode of dressing is creating a kind of fear, they can jump into the lagoon. Everybody has a right to his/her own opinion.
To me, Islam is my life and I will never renounce my religion and talk evil of it but any one that tries to portray Islam in bad light will see the other side of me; though I am not a fanatic but I am ready to defend Islam with the last blood in my body.

Daud
Shave my beard or drop Islamic garb? No way! I remain committed to the best way of life and that is Islam. Though it is Sunnah (teaching of the Prophet), I cannot shave it off.

Iliasu
My brother, don’t be deceived. Islam is a complete way of life. None can intimidate us. Let them kill all Muslim leaders across the world if they like. Islam is a religion, which Allah Himself has perfected. No amount of intimidation can stop Islam from its fast rate of growth.

Baba Aliyu - Secretary Alwajud Islamic group, Boorepo, Iyana-Ipaja, Lagos
It is a tragedy of our time to ask me this question. The question, if I must be frank with you, is an infringement of my right, so to say. But I need to tell you that, in the first place, keeping a beard is optional. It is not binding on Muslims. But those of us who decide to keep it at the same time are following the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet Muhammed. What I am saying in essence is that keeping a beard is not prohibited while not keeping it is not a sin either. It is a matter of choice and how close you want to be to the practice of the Prophet. The Obama Bin Ladin saga has nothing to do with the way I decide to appear as a Muslim. Nobody has any right to harass me for keeping a beard because of the incident. Does my beard resemble that of Obama Bin Ladin? It is outrageous to think along this line. But as a journalist, I should not begrudge you because you must feed the public with current issues.

Alfa Abdul Rasheed Yusuf, Islamic teacher
If I refuse to answer this question, how would you feel? A beard is what we inherited from Prophet Muhammed. Followers of Muhammed are supposed to keep it if they have the grace to have it. Don’t forget that not everybody is blessed with the hair. Your question is an insult to my religion and my old age. Who is Obama Bin Ladin? He was not older than my first son who is not my first child. I have been keeping a beard before he was born. How can his issue stop me from doing what I have been doing throughout my adult life? There is no way the issue will affect me. I am comfortable keeping it as long as it is the practice of Prophet Muhammed.

Alhaji Waheed Sadiq
I don’t have problem with your question on Obama Bin Ladin. I am not worried. My only concern is the fate of Muslims all over the world. In my opinion, the war goes beyond terrorism. It is more of a war against Islam. But I don’t think it makes sense to fight for Allah. Allah, the creator of man is capable of fighting his own war.

This article was put together while i still wrote for National LIFE and i worked on it with Tunde Busari and Luqman Oladele

Comments

  1. The man on the picture is not a muslim, it's a swedish/danish singer, the ''muslim'' thnig is just his image, Dr.Bombay. :p
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUc5hvVsfXg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a comment