Why I Murdered My Father - Tolani Ajayi (Redeemer University Undergraduate)

Tolani Ajayi, the son of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, last Thursday, has revealed how his late father provoked him into killing him.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported that Tolani murdered his father at Canaanland Street in the Redemption Camp along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Ogun State.

The 300-level student of Department of History and International Relations, spoke with our correspondent on Tuesday at the Ogun State Police Command Headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta , where he was being detained for the crime.

Tolani, who the vice chancellor of RUN said was facing a disciplinary committee in the school before he committed the crime, was initially reluctant to open up to PUNCH Metro.

He said, "Go and read the statement I made to the police."

But he later changed his mind after a measure of persistence, saying he regretted his action.

Expatiating on how the father provoked him, he said there was an argument between him and his father.

He said, "My father went to the kitchen and got a stick (wooden spoon) which he used on me repeatedly and I tried to defend myself. Then, he bit me on the shoulder and I got angry.

"I initially used a normal small kitchen knife. Later, I used cutlass to attack him. I regret the action."

He further explained that the incident happened around 1am, adding that during the scuffle, his father bit him many times.

He said during the incident, only he and the late father were at home, while his mother was in Abuja.

When asked whether his parents lived together as husband and wife, Tolani said " We lived in Abuja; I schooled in the camp (Redemption Camp). My father came for a programme. My school was on break, so, I went to meet him. We were meant to go back to Abuja together, then the incident happened and here I am."

Tolani, who said he had offended his mother by his action, added that he had sent some people to beg her on his behalf for forgiveness.

He said, "I know my mother is still grieving and I want to give her time. But I have sent some people to talk to her that I am sorry, and that she should forgive me. I have talked to my sister."

When asked whether he was under the influence of drugs when he committed the crime, Tolani who confessed that he had been into drugs, said, "I   tried those drugs myself. I might have heard it from my friends, but I tried it myself.

"But I know there is no way Nigerians can help me. I am going to face my judgement. I am meant to pay for what I have done. It is not as if I am ready, it is something that is inevitable, something that is going to happen, I am just waiting for it."

Culled from PUNCH


Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @simplysamad for more exciting gist, photos, interviews, reviews, jokes, quotes and other entertaining content | BB pin: 2B3D28E3.
By: SAMOD BIOBAKU

Comments