WHEN LOVE GOES SOUR


CONDITIONAL LOVE
My girlfriend dumped me because I was broke… – Danny B
By Samod Biobaku
Sixthsense34@yahoo.com
Relationships, especially those that concern intimacy between a man and a woman have been known to hit then rocks for reasons that are as numerous as corpses lying in a busy cemetery.
However, among these various reasons, financial insecurity is one that has established an ageless reputation for shattering the fabric of love between two who are seemingly in love.
A good example of this was played out in the love tale between one of Nigeria’s rising stand-up comedians, Baba Daniel popularly known as Danny B and his ex-girlfriend. According to the Danny B, the young lady who once claimed to love him unconditionally dumped him when he least expected her to over his financial challenges at the time. “I was once dating an Ibo girl who didn’t believe in me. At the end, she dumped me because I was broke. I was shocked the bones but unfortunately but there was nothing I could do about it.”
However, speaking to SimplySamad on how comedy not only brought him fame but also changed his fortune for the better, he also shed light on his incursion into the comic world.

Fair weather friends
There have been days when I was so frustrated, I would make up my mind to drop comedy for something more lucrative but I always found myself going back into comedy. Sometimes, it got so bad that my friends would desert me. They all ran away and I felt so bad but God was always with me to give me the courage and strength I needed to thrive. I also had a lot of problem with my parents. Sometimes, I would go for shows and return home very late and they would complain to high heavens. Interestingly, most of my friends who ran away are coming back. Unfortunately, I’m nowhere to be found.

Conditional Love
I was once dating an Ibo girl who didn’t believe in me. At the end, she dumped me because I was broke. At a point, when she noticed that I was looking better than she left me and she made attempts to stage a come back but she was no longer a part of my plans so I put her in her place. As for my ex-girfriend, she regrets dumping me because people who think we’re still together call her to tell her that they saw me on this show and that show. Whenever our paths cross, there’s hardly anything to talk about because her conscience haunts her.

How I got into comedy
Before I got into comedy full time, I used to spend a lot f time with most of the top comedians in Nigeria today. I got to know most of them through my elder bother, Shedi Baba. We’re both into comedy. I started 9 years ago. My pastor was the first person to give me an opportunity showcase my flair to make people laugh through a show titled, ‘Laugh and Embarrass Yourself.’ This was in 2000. I invited my brother and a lot of other stand up comedians. After that, I staged another show in 2001. Thereafter, I made it an annual show.

Why I always wear suit on stage
I always put on suit when I want to go on stage. I have my eyes on the future. I believe in dressing corporately when I want to work. I believe address you according to how you are dressed. My dressing has gotten me a lot of jobs. I’ve been to offices where comedians were invited for jobs and the way they were dressed was considered. The dressing mattered so much that they were screened out. I believe so much in packaging because I see a future for comedy where the comedian would be expected to dress like bankers. Look at the likes of Basketmouth, Holy Mallam, Koffi, Shedi Baba, Gbenga Adeyinka and AY; they are comedians who dress well and they tend to get more jobs compared to their jean and T-shirt-wearing counterparts.

What comedy has done for me
Comedy has done a whole lot for me. I earn much more than I used to before I started comedy. Interestingly, things are getting better. Gbenga Adeyinka is one comedian in seriously respect because he has done a whole lot for me

My special gift
God shows me glimpses of the future before it happens. Sometimes, I sleep and see myself in a traffic jam and as God would have it, I would most likely go for a show and arrive there very late. I’m always happy when people give me a loud round of applause.

Comments