SEUN KUTI SPEAKS ON HIS ROMANCE WITH MARIJUANA






How I started smoking marijuanaSeun Kuti

Born into a family that has become synonymous with musical greatness and a reputation that has planted its tentacles deep into Europe, North America, Asia, West Africa and the rest of the world, Seun Kuti is without any doubt an artiste who needs little or no introduction.

Twenty eight years ago, Seun, the son of legendary Afro Beat icon, Fela Anikulapo Kuti became a member of the Kuti family by virtue of birth and divine preordination.
Over the years, the young boy who watched and admired his father’s musical and political stance gradually began learning some of the principles and lessons that would last him through an entire life time.
Today, the young Kuti is no longer the naïve lad he once was at a point in his life when he could hardly make any major decision on his own. Rather, Seun Kuti has risen to a level where his musical exploits have seen him morph into a musical brand that has warmed its way into international platforms like Warner Bros, the French government and quite a number of powerful establishments.
In a chat with Simply Samad, Kuti relived his earliest moments within the walls of Kalakuta where he was born. It was during this phase of reminisce that he narrated details of how he was initiated into smoking marijuana.
Interestingly, contrary to the consensus that he must have had his first drag of the intoxicating drug under the watchful eyes of his father, young Kuti made it clear that during all his years in Kalakuta, he never tasted majihuna.
In this interview, Kuti spoke extensively on his romance with marijuana, why more Nigerians are bolder with the addictive drug and more interesting issues.
First time Seun smoked marijuana
The only thing I see about marijuana is that people are bolder with it these days than they used to be in the past because the Nigerian society is becoming more advanced. It’s becoming more developed. Even in Europe, the problem is that the government no longer knows what to do with ‘Igbo (marijuana).’ The consequence of using it is not so high even in the Nigerian constitution. The first time I smoked, I was in the university. I was in college in Liverpool with my Oyinbo friends. That was in 2003. That has always been a very baffling fact for me because I grew up in Kalakuta and all the while I was staying in Kalakuta, I did not smoke Igbo. In college, my Oyinbo friends were able to pressurize me into smoking Igbo and that’s why I feel peer pressure is bigger than any other pressure. Since then, it’s been a part of me.
Seun Kuti describes himself
First of all I’m Seun then I’m Fela’s son. I’m a musician; a social critic and a political activist. I was 28 years old on January 11, 2011. I love the 111 about my birthday and it makes me feel special because the only other way you can have such a special number is if you are born of the 22nd of February. No one can be born on the 23rd of March.
Living up to expectations
I don’t think anybody’s expectation of me is as high as my expectation of myself. I set very high standards for myself. Sometimes, it takes me months to write a song. I’ll sing the song, play it to the band and still go back and redo it and redo it because this is just me. It’s not a matter of what people would think or what people wanna hear. My own basic conviction about writing music is this – if I am satisfied, then anybody who hears the music will be satisfied.
Schools attended
I didn’t go to a lot of schools as many would assume. I went to three schools like any normal growing child serious with education and my parents didn’t used to move around so much. I attended Tunwase Nursery and primary School, Adebayo Mokolu College and the Liverpool Institute of performing Arts. In Liverpool, I studied Popular Music and Sound Technology. Most people say I should get a second job then I say that means I’m not talented enough.
Money and music
Money should not be a yardstick used in measuring an artiste’s abilities, success or creativity. It is just something you make along the line. The greatest musician of our time for me was Mozart. He was the greatest composer and he was so poor when he died that nobody eve knows where he was buried. Musical genius has nothing to do with wealth. The greatness of the arts should never be tied to commercial rewards.
Embarrassing moments
None! Not in my professional career. My career has been scripted by the greatest script writer in the world because it’s so smooth and everything is working in my favour. When I started playing, I started with festivals because festivals pay well. It does not determine how big a star you are and they’re not there to watch you alone. One hundred thousand people might come and there would be so many other stars. But now, I can say I play 50 per cent festivals and 50 per cent at concerts. I also played at the Sidney Oprah House and I was the only artiste to perform.
First time Seun made love to a woman
How are you sure I am not a virgin? In fact, let me tell you the truth. The truth is that I’m a virgin and I’m looking for a special lady to come and deflower me. Didn’t Mary tell the whole world that she gave birth to a child still a virgin? Didn’t they believe her? As I stand before you now, I am telling you that I am a virgin. She doesn’t have to be a virgin because or course I know if I say she has to be a virgin, I will never see one.
Music business in Nigeria
The business is growing compared to when I started in Nigeria when there was actually no money to be made. The only money there was to be made was when you played for the oil companies or private parties or something and there was never any money to be made but now, a lot of different endorsements, a lot of projects happen where artistes are involved and a lot of them make money. All these marketing deals they make are also there so for the business, yeah. Artistes in Nigeria are no longer seen as vagabonds or hungry layabouts anymore.


By Samod Biobaku

Comments