Foluke Daramola reveals her secret message to Jonathan to Samod Biobaku



Nollywood’s busty actress, Foluke Daramola has had her fair share of sailing through the turbulent yet gradually developing waters that form a direct channel into the Nigerian movie industry.

For most of her fans, her love and passion for acting remain at the fore-front of her career.
However, unknown to many, is the actresses’ love for humanity not just by giving back to the society but for individuals who have contributed in no small measure to the same course.
The actress recently visited the M.K.O Abiola residence on Toyin Street, Lagos to pay homage to late M.K.O during his 13th anniversary of his tragic demise.
At the venue, Daramola expressed her admiration for the slain hero noting that late Abiola remains one of Nigeria’s true heroes whom she holds very close to her heart.
It was therefore not surprising when the actress joined voices with Professor Wole Soynka as she tasked President Goodluck Jonathan to rename the Abuja Stadium into M.K.O Abiola Stadium.
At the event, the likes of Soyinka, Hafsat (Abiola) Costello, Joe Odumakin, Abdul Mumuni Abiola and many others were on ground to witness the ceremony. It was on this platform that Daramola appealed to President Jonathan to keep memories of Abiola’s legacy alive by renaming the Abuja Stadium.
In this interview, the actress talked about her relationship with Hafsat Abiola-Costello (late Kudirat Abiola’s daughter) and reasons she believes M.K.O remains one of the greatest men to every walk the face of the earth.
Excerpts:
You were at the M.K.O Abiola residence for late M.K.O Abiola’s 13th year memorial; one could have mistaken you for one nurturing a political ambition.
(Laughs) I’m not a politician o.

Does this mean you have a relationship with the Abiola family or are you just here to pay tribute to the late icon like every other person?
Well, I’m one person who just believes that anyone fighting for hunality has a not. I am a member of the family and Hafsat Abiola-Costello (Late Kudirat Abiola’s daughter) is my friend. I’m also here because I appreciate what M.K.O Abiola has done in the past.

Now, I know you’re not directly related to the family but if you were in Hafsat’s shoes; 13 years after her father’s death, you still had a crowd coming in year after year to pay tribute. How would that make you feel?
That would make me feel proud because it means that he was a true hero. It’s not just about how much money you earn or have. It’s not because of the amount of money that Abiola has that people are remembering him for but it’s because of the impact that he has made into humanity. With that, if I were in her shoes, I would learn from her father because true value is in giving.

Basically, you are known as a movie person. Are you thinking about shooting any movie that revolves around the Abiola story?
Maybe later but now, that’s not d paramount thing at the moment. There are other things that are paramount and are more important than that.
In his address, Professor Wole Soyinka canvassed for the renaming of the Abuja stadium to M.K.O Abiola Stadium. Are you in support of this campaign as well?
I think so. That wouldn’t be a bad idea. In the western world, they have heroes that they celebrate at this point in time. So, here in Nigeria, the same can be done because this is man who impacted so much on humanity in his time.

After graduating from Obafami Awolowo University, did you work before veering into acting?
I started acting since I was a teenager. Along the line, I went to the University and studied International Relations. Then, I did my Masters in International Law and Diplomacy from University of Lagos, I’m still in the classroom. Acting is a part of me and it comes naturally. But I’ve been able to combine it with academics because I love to read. I may end up becoming a lecturer.

It appears you are more of a producer than an actress?
No doubt, I’ve been producing movies, but I started out with TV series and soaps. So, this time around, I have made up my mind to go back into producing TV series. Movie making is full of uncertainties. So, as an artiste, it’s wise to diversify. That’s why I have decided to go into TV serials.
I made my debut through soap operas and I understand how it works. It doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t be producing movies, I just want to diversify into other areas. Also, my talk show has been my passion. I’ve been working on it for the past five years.

What kind of orientation did you have, as a child?
I come from a Christian family. My mother is a staunch Christian. I lost my father when I was two years old, so I didn’t meet him. I’m extremely an independent and hardworking woman. Over the years, I’ve come to realise that if you are determined, hardworking and truthful, the sky would be your limit. The realisation of this axiom has helped in shaping my life.

Comments