The Angry Sultan


SOUND SULTAN BLOWS HOT
Me-a one-album star? Who said so?By Samod Biobaku
Sixthsense34@yahoo.com
Given the strength of his lyrics, musical depth, originality and unquestionable creativity, Sound Sultan is one artiste who should be rightly categorized as an A-list musical act.

However, despite the musical dexterity and talent that defines his game, many believe he is yet to book a place in the hearts of Nigerians as an artiste who stands head and shoulders above the crowd.
The man in the middle of the storm, Olanrewaju Fasasi popularly known as Sound Sultan has floored the argument of those who consider him a ‘one album star.’

When asked why he had arguably failed to consolidate on the impact he made with his hit single, Jagbajantis, he replied with a question. “Whose consensus is that? Whose opinion is that? I know my fans. The content back then is more than what we have right now so the challenge has always been there to constantly come out with something better. The content back then was killing.”

The ‘Bushmeat’ crooner admitted to SimplySamad that he agrees with the fact that the industry has changed but noted that there are certain things that an artiste must never compromise.

“My music can stand the test of time and that’s probably my strongest attribute as an artiste. Music is not just about doing shallow songs that stay hot for as while and then die down before you realize it. For no reason will I compromise the quality of my music while reaching out to people. As long as it’s deep and I’m making money from it, that’s ok for me. I won’t compromise my position. There’s a level you can grow to and that level is constant. I do my music. I have loads of fans and I appreciate them. I’m not supposed to be watering down my lyrics for no reason. Before you criticize me, you have to listen to my album first. I’ve come a long way and I know who my fans are,” he said.

Citing the strength of his hit single, ‘Motherland’ and his fourth album, ‘SS4’ as reference points, he further reiterated the fact that he would not stoop as low as adjusting his lyrics. “I cannot water down my lyrics for no reason. My single, ‘Motherland’ has been a hit yet you’re telling me that my fans have not gotten anything. I’ve been around the nation and the song was a hit no matter what you call it. After ‘Motherland,’ ‘Back in the Days’ also came; all lovely songs. SS4 is for ignorant people to talk about. SS4 was my fourth album. 2008 was a very interesting year and I thank God for the journey. God gave me the icing on the cake and the sales for the album were massive.

He also spoke about his recent collaboration with multi-platinum Haitian-American musician, actor, producer and former-member of the hip hop trio, The Fugees, Wyclef Jean. “In the last week of 2008, Wyclef called me up and he wants to do a remix of a song in my album. The song is titled, ‘King of my country.’ We remixed the song ands shot the video in 2008. 2008 was a very fruitful year for me,” he said.

Sound Sultan insists that as far as music is concerned, he has a very clear picture of what he wants and how to go about it. “I’ve been testing my grounds internationally and even at home and I know I’m shown love. There’s this respect and love I get and that’s all I need. Some promoters want artistes to cook up clubs hits that won’t stand the test of time to make it and that’s not good enough. I can’t go and start sounding like someone else and until they get to that level where they can get my message, then they’ll meet me up there because that’s where I am.”

Comments

  1. YEP!!! True story cuz, no need for argument soldier... sometimes people confuse manufactured talents for real and natural talents... Nture takes it's time while the manufactured ones are always in a hurry, easy come, easy what?????? thank you!!! let's just say some people need to understand the depth and quality of Sound Sultan.... Nature has blessed a son. we thank GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciation to my father who informed me about this webpage,
    this web site is truly remarkable.

    My blog Online Games

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having read this I believed it was rather informative.

    I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this information together.
    I once again find myself spending a significant amount of
    time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still
    worth it!

    my website :: click here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously love your site.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you develop this amazing site yourself?
    Please reply back as I'm wanting to create my own blog and would love to find out where you got this from or what the theme is called. Many thanks!

    my website; farmhouse - -

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a comment