KOFFI: "I’m not a musical flop but…"


Once upon a time, he was a comedian and then he stunned the Nigerian entertainment industry with an incursion into music.
He dropped his album, which many were quick to write off as one of the biggest flops in the history of Nigerian music.
However, not surrendering to the overwhelming tongue of condemnation and negative criticism that continued to strike hard at the fabric of what he stood for, he persevered and stood firm despite the odds.
Today, Koffi has put his critics to shame because by braving the odds when it mattered most, he recently clinched the award for the Best Use of Animation for his musical video, Officer at the Nigerian Music Video Awards 2008 (NMVA 08).

Speaking with SimplySamad, Koffi responds to critics who branded him a flop, his plans, his female fans and his award at the ‘NMVA 08.’ Interestingly, he also opened up on why he went as far as singing three versions of his hit single, ‘Aroma.’
PEOPLE SAY YOU’RE A MUSICAL FLOP
I’m not a musical flop. I’ve met a lot of people who believe I’m more of a musician than a comedian and I’ve always had to correct that notion. I’m not a musical flop but I’m not contesting with musicians. I don’t compete with musicians. I don’t go to shows to sing. I go to shows to do comedy. I just love singing, entertaining and reaching a wider audience that I cannot reach through comedy. That’s what my music does for me. It breaks boundaries and barriers and takes me to places I can never reach.
THREE VERSIONS OF ‘AROMA’
It’s true that people are saying I’m becoming known for doing remixes. Yes! I do remixes but I have a very good reason for doing so. I remember that when I did the first version of Aroma, which is the very traditional version and a lot of people came and kept asking me to do a hip hop mix of the song. Thereafter, some of my fans still kept asking me to do a rap version, which I did and they loved it The traditional people loved the traditional version. The dance people loved the reggae-tone version and after I did the rap version, the hardcore people also loved it so I think I’m settling everybody equally.
FEMALE FANS
I’m married so I don’t have any female fans. If there are any female fans, they know where the boundaries are and they dare not cross it. My fans are my family. I have family and not fans. Anybody who loves what I do is a family and not just a fan. AWARDIt means I have to step up the game. The next thing has to be better than the present one. I thank the Lord. I appreciate the award even if it was an animation and not the real me, I’m very glad I got it. I’ve always been doing music along side comedy and it’s just about time that I got some recognition for the good work.
KOFFI IN TWO YEARS TIME
I don’t know what tomorrow holds. I don’t keep tabs. I live for the moment positively. I don’t live for the moment recklessly. I let God take charge.

By Samod Biobaku

Comments