"Clarence And I Are Just Pals - We're Not lovers" - KEL


Following her rising musical profile on the creative ship of Capital Hill Records; captained by award-winning music Video Director, Clarence Peters, Kelechi Ohia popularly known as KEL has denied being romantically involved with her C.E.O.

While one might expect her to have sleepless nights over allegations of sharing the same bed with her boss, KEL made it clear that she was not surprised at the ease with which a lot of Nigerians jumped to conclusions.
KEL, who hails from Abia State explained that Clarence Peters is not the only person whom she has been wrongly accused of dating.
She went on to explain that at a time, she was also erroneously alleged to have been involved with popular Hip Hop act, Shank.


In a chat with Simply Samad, she however set the records straight on her relationship with Clarence Peters and Shank. She added that at the moment, her music remains her only sweetheart.“People have been talking about it almost every time so I’m not surprised. I did this magazine cover shoot with Ace Magazine with Shank and a lot of people have been asking me, ‘what’s up with you and Shank?’ It’s nothing. As for My C.E.O, Clarence Peters, we’re like one big, happy family. We work and play together. It’s a professional relationship. I’m not in any relationship now.”
In place of matters of the heart, one thing that Kel channels all her love and affection into is her forthcoming album especially two of her new singles, Push and Beautiful Life and she spoke in detail about the songs and the album, which is expected to drop next year.“Push features Nyore. She has her singles on air. She basically does Reggae. The beat for Push was made by Dr. Fraz. It’s also rap but it’s a different flavour and sound. It doesn’t sound like the everyday Hip Hop thing. It has a popish feel to it and a lot of people will be able to relate to it. The first time I met Nyore. She came to the studio and we were supposed to work together so my C.E.O, Clarence Peters brought her to the studio and he played this particular beat and I was wondering, ‘what exactly am I supposed to do with this (laughs). I liked the sound but I had never done that kind of beat before and that’s when Tha Suspect came in and he tried to help us out and from there, we started writing and at the end, it wasn’t bad at all. Beautiful Life is another single along with Push. It’s an inspirational song. I featured IK. He did the hook. It’s a mellow song that makes you appreciate the beautiful things of life. We’ll also be shooting videosI’ve started recording my album. I’m almost through with the song. It depends on how much work we get done. The album will be out next year but it depends on how much and how soon.
Those who worked on the album include Tha Suspect, Dr. Fraz, J martins, Big Foot and Knight House. Artistes on the album include Shank, Durella, MI, Nyore, Tha Suspect, Ill Bliss, Terry Tha Rapman, R Cube, Osagie and a host of others.”
KEL who presently studies Economics (400 level) at the Lagos State University (LASU) is the third child in a family of six; parents inclusive. “I was born and bred in Lagos. I also went to Learning Field Primary School, Satelite Town and UNILAG Secondary School.”
BIRTH AND IMPACT OF FIRST SINGLE
“Wa wa Alright was the beginning of my musical story. It was one of the first songs I recorded when I came to Capital Hill Studios. We were all just playing beats in the studios and they played a particular beat for me that I was supposed to write something else to it and someone in the studio started saying, “Wa wa alright…” At first I looked at the guy and said what are you talking about? I laughed over it and was even joking over it but it was kind of catchy so we started working on it. I’ve had people from London Germany and other foreign countries telling me that they are feeling my song over there; even in African countries like Kenya. I was amazed that the song has reached places that even I have not gone to physically. It’s really crazy. I want to take over the world. I featured Skin in the video because he had a voice that fit right into the song.”
HAPPINESS FROM MUSIC
“Professionally, music started in 2002. A fried once told me that your stage name can take you to places that your father’s name cannot take you (laughs). Music has given me a lot of fame and popularity. It has given me a whole lot and things are looking up. When people call me up or send me texts and tell me they love my song, I’m happy.”
LIFE NOW AND BACK THEN
“I’m still me and I’m trying not to let the popularity get into my head. I do music the way I’ve always been doing it; the passion and love for it remains strong. I’ve performed at a couple of shows. I’ve performed at the Starcomms Live Revolution Concert twice, DJ Humility’s party, Koffi’s Bursting Loose. I’ve also performed out of Lagos. I also performed at a show in Ikeja that made me realise I had a lot of fans in secondary schools (laughs).”
COMPETITION WITHIN THE GENRE
“I met Sasha recently. She was really nice to me. She’s a cool person. I also met Kemistry when I went on her show and we’re friends. There’s no rivalry between us.”WHY RAP?“I rap because first of all, I can’t sing and like I always say, rap is like an obsession for me.”
DREAM INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION
“If I were to do a musical collaboration with one international act, that would be Neyo because I love what he does. I love the way he writes and delivery.”
FAVOURITE PART OF MY BODY
‘There are a lot of them. I like my eyes, my nose and lips.”
MALE FANS
“Some of them come to me and tell me how much they love my song and before I k now what’s happening, they ask if they can hug me. They’re just funny. I was taking pictures with some secondary school student and one of them beside me was whispering, ‘KEL… do you have a boyfriend?’ I just acted deaf.”


By Samod Biobaku
Sixthsense34@yahoo.com

Comments