Ice Prince speaks meets Samod Biobaku




LONELY

Ice Prince speaks on life without a brother

· Reveals what he spends his money on

By SAMOD BIOBAKU

sixthsense34@yahoo.com

He might have a name that sounds like an Italian title or a top notch European designer but Panshak Zamani popularly known as ‘Ice Prince’ remains a Nigerian; not just in person but on the strength of his talent and passion for music – an art he discovered while growing up on the streets of Jos in Plateau State.

Arguably the hottest musical act without a single, Ice prince has marked his place in the Nigerian music industry. Just in case you’re one of those still trying to run a lab test on his musical dexterity, save yourself the effort by breezing through his hit single, ‘Oleku’ Featuring Brymo as well as the countless collaborations he has been involved in. The list includes Jesse Jags, M.I., Kenny Saint Brown (KSB), Ruggedman, Kel, Djinee, MoCheddah, Whizkid, Banky W, Eldee, Tha Suspect, Sound Sultan and so many others.

Given the level of acceptance he has gained as an artiste over the years, he would appear to be one of the happiest men on earth but in this interview with National LIFE, Ice Prince reveals that despite the celebrity status bestowed on him, there are times when he feels so lonely, he wishes he had a brother in addition to his family of five. Initially, he felt lucky being the only boy but soon, reality caught up with him. “At first, I never thought about it like that because I had fun growing up with them but I do miss the fact that I don’t have a brother. However, for some strange reason, being the only boy had its advantages because I always got the Christmas clothes that I wanted because I didn’t have to share Christmas clothes with anybody. It was fun.”

Music for Ice Prince began with the church choir but after he met the duo of M. I. and Jesse Jags, everything changed. They bonded so much, they began living together.

Finally, Ice Prince has decided to officially drop his first solo effort soon and it’s titled ‘Fire.’ He’s taking his time with his album and is working with Chocolate City as he has his sights set on 2011.

Just in case you’re already wondering what Ice Prince spends his money on, he easily lets the cat out of the bag when he says, “I spend my money on clothes. When I travel out of the country, I don’t come back with a dime because I end up spending all I earn on clothes. I don’t really wear blings so I spend my money on T-Shirts, jackets and shoes. Sometimes, I would pick up a shoe and wonder where I bought it from. I also spend my money on my family because I have a family back in Jos and I take care of them. I also spend my money giving back to the industry that has put me where I am today. There are times when young artistes seek financial assistance and I do my best to offer a helping hand. I also spend money on fuel to power my generator. It’s not fair because we travel out to places like Kenya where they have constant power supply. Why is the story different here?”

He admits that his dad would never have supported his music career and as fate would have it, his dad passed on in 1999. His mum on the other hand, expressed her stand by paying for his first studio sessions.

He’s in a relationship at the moment but wouldn’t go into details. As for getting married, he says, “I’m gonna chill and I’m not in a rush to get married. My role model Jay Z married at what age?”

On his dream collaborations, Ice Prince picks out Drake and 2 Face. “2 Face is a god with a small ‘g’ he said. For his ‘musical brothers-in-crime,’ Jesse Jags and M.I., he said, “No matter how many times we’ve worked together, I’m always ecstatic about it.”

His participation in the Hennessy Artistry remains a huge part of his career as he had fun, competed with other great minds and won N2.5 million.

When asked if he earned his first million from the Hennessy Artistry, he shakes his head and replies, “No. I got millions when my dad died. My first million came through inheritance. My dad was a policeman. I love the cops and if I had a chance today, I would be a policeman.”

Like most celebrity acts, Ice Prince has had his good and bad days and he shared his experiences. “I might be wrong but in the history of this country, I feel I’m the most successful person based on the fact that I don’t have any material out. I’ve signed autographs without a single and that is one thing that I consider a huge achievement. It’s been wonderful. I’m way ahead of my peers and it’s wonderful. On the flip side, I’ve been to shows where nobody cares about you. I’ve been introduced on stage and the crowd did not clap or sheer me. They were staring at me. Recently, I was bounced from an embassy because they didn’t know who Ice Prince was. There have been ups and downs. I’ve had to carry speakers for an event. I’ve had to pay for performances before. I couldn’t believe it myself because it was one of the biggest music bodies in Nigeria and they made me pay a fee of N1, 000 to perform at a show in Jos. They sent us letters saying we have been billed to perform adding that we were expected to pay a fee of N1, 000 to be at the show. This was in 2005. Recently, I went for a show in Jos. I was backstage about to perform and there was a little bit of disagreement on whether I would perform alongside Lagos artistes or Jos artistes. I hail from Jos but I live in Lagos so there was a mix up. The Lagos people were saying: ‘Ice Prince is a Lagos boy’ while the Jos people were saying: ‘Ice Prince is a Jos boy’ so it was very confusing.

Comments