Ice Prince VERSUS M.I - Samod Biobaku takes a peek




Will Ice Prince outshine M.I?

By Samod Biobaku

Sixthsense34@yahoo.com

One of Chocolate City’s biggest signings ever, Ice Prince (born Panshak Zamani) is practically on the verge of taking a great deal of shine off his record label mate, M.I (born Jude Abaga) and while this might portend a shower of musical blessings for the record label that thrust them into the heart of music fans across the globe, an official take-over might as well be on the cards.

For Chocolate City, M.I signing as one of its first official card-carrying members was indeed greeted with an intoxicating dose of optimism especially considering the immense reservoir of talent the rapper had at his disposal.

It therefore didn’t come as a surprise when M.I rode high into the skies on the strength of his hit single, ‘Crowd Mentality.’

Given the international attention that greeted M.I’s emergence through British Council’s IYMEA in 2006, the diminutive rapper shattered all walls of limitation with his ill rhymes and ferocious vibes.

Interestingly, M.I’s glaring success encouraged his record label to expand its horizon of achievements by signing other rap artistes whom they considered to be in the mould of their shinning star. One of such signings proved to be M.I’s own close pal, Ice Prince.

Prior to his contract with Chocolate City, Ice Prince had already brandished his lyrical knuckles with countless musical collaborations that sparked with his creative genius.

At a time, the chocolate-skinned rapper was considered Nigeria’s hottest music star without a single. Like a cyclone gradually building destructive momentum, Ice Prince was in no hurry to rush into churning out singles. Rather, he channeled his creative ingenuity into keeping a honed edge on his music skills.

Just in case you’re one of those still trying to run a lab test on his musical dexterity, save yourself the effort by breezing through his hit single, ‘Oleku’ Featuring Brymo as well as the countless collaborations he has been involved in. The list includes Jesse Jags, M.I., Kenny Saint Brown (KSB), Ruggedman, Kel, Djinee, MoCheddah, Whizkid, Banky W, Eldee, Tha Suspect, Sound Sultan and so many others.

Like most celebrity acts, Ice Prince has had his sweet moments and he recently shared this with National LIFE when he said: “I might be wrong but in the history of this country, I feel I’m the most successful person based on the fact that even when I didn’t have a single, I signed autographs and that is one thing that I consider a huge achievement. It’s been wonderful. I’m way ahead of my peers and it’s wonderful,” he said.

M.I on the other hand, represents one of Nigeria’s brightest emerging stars and the list of hits the artiste had churned out clearly illuminates the rappers lyrical gifts.

Both M.I and Ice Prince are gifted rappers and both belong to the same label, Chocolate City which explains why they’ve been dubbed ‘Choco Boys’ by fans and music lovers.

Years before they ever even dreamt of emerging music stars that they have become today, both M.I and Ice Prince has always considered themselves birds of identical plumage apparently conjugating in similar proximity.

Their mutual flair for music clearly rises to the fore as one of the factors responsible for their affinity but their perceptible bias for the rap genre of music further lures them both into a musical territory that shares an unhealthy fence with creative rivalry.

However, while they are both relatively successful in their crafts, Ice Prince gradually appears to be on the course of dethroning M.I; who presently sits on Chocolate City’s musical throne.

Both have picked up various awards in different categories but on the strength of their hit singles, Ice Price clearly stands taller than his record label counterpart.

M.I evidently emerges the more prolific of the duo and arguably remains a bit ahead of Ice Prince on the track of success but if Ice Prince could summon the audacity to release another single in the rhythmic mould of his monster hit, ‘Oleku,’ then we all know where the pendulum of triumph would eventually swing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please Leave a comment