Nikki Laoye tells Samod Biobaku how she handles romantic applications






How I deal with guys who seek romance – Singer Nikki Laoye

By Samod Biobaku

Sixthsense34@yahoo.com

At a glance, rising singer, Nikki Laoye physically reminds one of the popular line, which maintains that dynamites come in small packages.

The dark-skinned actress might be petite but in the last few years, she has been able to carve a niche for herself in the Nigerian music industry through her vocal delivery and her undying passion for music.

However, at a time when a good number of her colleagues in the showbiz industry are enmeshed in husband-snatching scandals and other disturbing controversies, rising singer, Nikki Laoye has revealed how she has been able to avoid getting dragged into such messy waters.

In a chat with Simply Samad in Victoria Island in Lagos, Laoye spoke on the works that have taken her off the screen for a while now.

In addition, she also spoke about the Girl Power project, her charity works, her relationship with ‘Wahala Media Entertainment’ and her singles; most of which are still in the pipeline.

Interestingly, she also spoke about her secret crush on award-winning singer, Banky W.

You appear to have gone off the radar in the past few months. Where have you been?

I’ve been busy. I’ve been doing a lot of stuff and I’ve been doing a lot of work on my charity project. I founded a charity project called ‘Angel for Life.’ So, I’ve been kind of busy with that. Presently, I have started working on new songs for my next album.

Could you run through some of the songs that have kept you busy for so long?

They’re still under wraps. They’re not ready for publicity yet. No…no!

How about girl power? Are you still coming back together?

Ashionye is my sister so anywhere she is, I dey there.

You’ve got a very petite physique yet doing great things. How exactly does that make you feel?

I love what I do. Big things come in small packages. I love what I do. I have fun singing and I have fun doing what I do. I’m just showing forth all God has placed inside of me. He’s too much.

Nikki, when are the wedding bells going to ring?

Soon and very soon... Don’t worry; you guys go hear gist now. I go advertise for paper sef.

Apart from the charity works and the new singles you’re working on, is there any other thing you’re channeling your resources into?

I actually work with an entertainment company called ‘Wahala Media Entertainment.’ Don’t worry, we don’t bring ‘wahala.’ We just come to help you take the wahala away. We kind of look for ways tot bring solutions into the entertainment industry. We work on projects and ideas. We’ve got a couple of artistes on ground right now; like Sugar Boy A1 who was made popular on the song with Mode 9. We’ve got another young guy called Base 1. You guys are all missing DaGrin abi? Don’t worry! Base 1 is coming to fill that vacuum. Coincidentally, he has the same music delivery like DaGrin did. We have those people in order right now.

This is 2011. I’m sure you must have a whole lot of things marked out – How much are you hoping to achieve this year?

Plenty! Right now, my hands are in many ponds. I’m doing so many things at once, working as a project manager, doing my music and also doing my charity work. Those are the three major things that surround me right now.

How have you been handling the celebrity status? I’m sure it’s been quite different from the school girl status you were used to a couple of years back.

I’m just the girl next door. I just have fun. I just believe that I’m someone God has given a chance to showcase my gifts. Everyone has a gift. There’s someone in a bank out there that’s doing great. It’s just that the bank is not on TV so people might not really know that person. I just happen to be working in the showbiz and entertainment industry and that’s why people tend to see me. I just believe that I’m someone God has just blessed so that I can do what I do today.

Nikki, how come you’re not snatching anybody’s husband or getting enmeshed in scandals. How have you been able to stay clean till this moment?

Well, number one, I’m a child of God. I also have principles. I live by principles because really, because if there is no law, there would be disorder and all of that. I believe I am a role model to people. If you’re a role model, you just have to ensure that you’re sending out the right vibes. I know young people love me and learning from me so I have to be sure that I have something that I am teaching them in a positive way.

About 6 years ago, who did you have a crush on?

Ahn! I had a big crush on Banky W. Let me see… Who else o… He’s the major person I can remember right now. I remember when he just came. I simply couldn’t get enough of him.

How often do your male fans come along and then how do you deal with the ones who desire something much deeper?

It’s normal. I’m just a friend to them. I know where to draw the line. I know when to smile. I know when not to smile. I also help them to know when they’re crossing the line because there are some of them who don’t know when they are crossing the line.

What’s your biggest challenge as an artiste?

My biggest challenge as an artiste would be the fact that I’m still a responsible daughter at home and at the same time, I still have to watch out for myself. I’m still growing and I’m working as well. Sometimes, combining all these responsibilities can be a little bit tiring and tasking.

Comments

  1. Oh wow, Nikki Laoye is so cool and she sounds so down to earth. Can't wait for her new album. I still listen to Never felt this way before! Classic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a comment