My relationship with Jesse Jagz & M.I – Rising Hip Hop act, Attah Rishante


My relationship with Jesse Jagz & M.IRising Hip Hop act, Attah Rishante
By Obaro Itewo
Itewoobaro@yahoo.com

Jesse Jagz

M.I

Rishnate
There is no doubt that the Nigeria music industry is experiencing phenomenal growth with the emergence of new and upcoming acts with distinctive genre of music. The emergence of the likes of Olamide, Tiwa Sawage, Muna, Eva and a host of others further lends credence to this.
The latest addition to the list of growing acts is Jos, Plateaus state-born Attah Rishante. Rishante whose singles, ‘Malinda,’ ‘Don’t cry Mother’ and ‘Shayo Baby’ from his debut album were produced by the duo of Jesse Jagz and M.I.
In a chat with National LIFE, the promising act spoke extensively about his incursion into music, his projections and lot more.
Attah Rishante hails from Taraba State and was born in Jos into the family of Joseph and Phoebe Rishante. “My  curiosity in music began after watching Billie Jean stage performance video. Since then, I began recording karaoke samples in clubs, getting involved in Deejaying and performing in school where my interest in music intensified. I presently have singles on air titled Malinda, Don’t cry mother and Shayo baby. My debut album is produced by Jesse Jagz and rapper M.I. My single can be downloaded from his websites reverbnation.com.”
His musical journey began in the early 90s. “It was around early 90’s, 1990 to 1992 that I started. Then in 2001, I met Jesse Jagz and M.I. We started recording songs. I recorded a 3-track album titled ‘Right into your Heart. I took music seriously in mid 90s.’”
As far as musical influence go, he mentioned the likes of Michael Jackson, New Edition, Bobby brown, Luther Vandros, Marvin Gaye and a lot of others.
With such choices, one might be tempted to wonder of he’s one of those acts with an aversion for Nigerian artistes. “Tuface is a very good musician. I think Tuface is someone that many other artistes actually look up to. Also D’banj and Psquare are not left out too.”
He describes his brand of music as R & B or Africa Hip-Hop.
He also spoke on the songs in his album. “Well. I did a song with Jesse Jagz. I have a single on airwaves right now title Malinda and also a video. I have a song that talk about materialism and another single titled, ‘Don’t Cry Mother.’ It deals with the way most women are battered buy their husband and also women that are expose to other sorts of social vices. You know now there is a lot of advocacy on women equality. So that song is my own way of contributing to the advocacy on women equality.
Describing his relationship with M.I and Jesse Jagz, he said, “My working relationship with M.I and Jesse Jagz is very, very nice. It’s like an experiment. We were not trying to sound in a particular direction or particular ways. All our focus was to achieve good music and do something that will be acceptable to music lovers.”

Comments