Sonia reveals the good, bad and ugly side of modeling in Nigeria


The very first time I saw this model, I was fascinated by her voice, the intriguing features of her visage especially her jaw line, her trim shape, her simplicity, her tenderness, her height, the gentle curves of her body and more importantly, the ease with which she was able to strike a very sensitive cord somewhere within me.
A couple of years ago, I might have mistaken this for sexual excitement but experience with the opposite sex had taught me that this was not just an encounter that would be limited to the pleasures of physical enchantment. So, I followed my instinct and went after her.
Without batting an eyelid, I courteously introduced myself to her and spoke to her as gently as I could to avoid giving off the wrong impression. I can’t recall if she smiled or even laughed but after a 2-minute conversation, I knew destiny had somehow bound me to this beautiful model named Onyinye Okafor but fondly called Sonia.

The next time I saw her, we spent a couple of hours together at different locations but at a quiet eatery tucked within Ilupeju in Lagos, she opened a window into her world and what makes her tick.
On the surface, Sonia would appear beautiful, incredibly desirable and without any worries whatsoever and indeed, she was a sight to behold and would hardly ever lack attention from men and woman alike.
However, in a one hour, thirty-minute chat with Simply Samad, she narrated the story of her life in three familiar shades; the good, the bad and the ugly. She also revealed the frustrating challenges Nigerian models have to contend with and how many veer off track.

Background information
I hail from Idemmili Local Government in Anambra State. I attended Gaius Benton Primary School, Oko, Anambra then proceeded to Lorreto Special Science School and eventually Nnamdi Azikwe University, Anambra where she studied Geological Sciences.

Sonia
The name Sonia stuck when I was in secondary school. I’m just a normal girl. I’m spend a lot of time at home and I cook a lot. You might not believe this but I can pound Fufu and pounded yam. I don’t drink or smoke but most of the models I know indulge in these things a lot but it’s not my thing. I’m the kind of girl who goes for an after-party of an event and end up sitting in one corner and observing all that’s going on around me. I remember two occasions like that. I’m not shy but I sometimes just prefer being by myself.

Sonia’s modeling story
I have an uncle called Paul Graham; my aunt’s husband. Right now, he’s in the U.S. In 2006, he saw me and said I could pass for a model. He took me to Modella and handed me over to him                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        and that was it. Modella took me through the art of cat walking and what it takes to become a model. I learnt a lot and I learnt fast too. However, before I could pay my uncle back, he left the country. I was hoping to give him my first pay as a model. I was with Modella for less than 2 years because at a point I gained admission.

The jobs and the challenges
I did NTFS before I gained admission. Modella’s normal classes were Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays but I was going everyday so I learnt faster than other models. He also encouraged me a lot and let me realize that I had all I needed to go international. Seriously, I don’t think I want to take up a full-time career in modeling. If I get a good job as I’m speaking to you, I would so drop modeling. The situation in the Nigerian modeling industry is not encouraging at all. You go to shows and you’re paid N10, 000. It’s not even something you should imagine at all because it is not encouraging. You end up doing some other things that you’re not proud of. I’m talking about things that you’re not proud to tell people about and would most likely keep secret. I’m talking about models sleeping with men old enough to be their fathers. There’s no way a model who has come as far as I have can survive on N10, 000 jobs; without being tempted to do bad things. A woman has needs and most models are ready to work to get those things but when the industry keeps paying N10, 000, then there’s a problem. There’s a problem in the industry.

So, have you had to do any of these bad things?
No. I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by a loving and caring family. They understand that the industry does not pay much so they support me. How about those who are not as fortunate as me?

Day I slumped in church
It was at Charles Heerey Memorial Juniorette, I was very tired. We had to go for a vigil and I was very tired during service, I just found myself on the floor and somehow picked myself up and the rest is history.

Modeling jobs
I did NTFS in 2006 before I gained admission and then in 2007 when I came back from school. Before I went to school, I also did ‘Catwalk to Stardom’ by Yinka Adewunmi. We did lots of fashion shows. I was one of the pioneer models for Sleek. In 2007, I did something for Ade Bakare where some Russian guys came into the country. I was also on the runway for Modella. Recently, I did Koga and then International Style Week. I did something for Moments with Mo; an upcoming designer’s contest. I also went for a show in Cotonou and up till date, I still haven’t been paid. I also did something for Designer’s Lounge. I did Complete Fashion – November edition. I also did something for Tiffany in December 2008. The highest paying was the Thisday Festivals in Abuja that had Usher, Rihanna and other international stars. I once did a job and rather than pay us, she gave us a gift voucher that we have not been able to use till date. One of my best friends is now a manager in one of the big hotels in Benin. She said she’s tired; everybody is tired. This friend of mine; Nancy is highly talented. She sings, dances and models well but a lot of models are dropping out.

Marital status
I’m single and not searching.

Are you a lesbian?
(Laughs) No.

Have you ever had an encounter with one?
Never!

Is it more rampant among male models?
Yeah! Most of the guys in the modeling industry are gay and they don’t even hide it. It’s no longer a secret.

Are you dating?
I’m not

Why did it take you so long to respond?
Nothing

But you gave it a thought. Are you in one that doesn’t feel like one?
Yeah!

So, have you tried to make it work or is it a no hope situation?
Yes.

So, why are you in it?
I’m not in it

Favourite colour
Pink

Lucky number
Three

Favourite part of your body
My lips and I like my eyes too.

By Samod Biobaku


Comments