Femi Kuti On The HOT SEAT

FEMI KUTI - Afro beat Artiste

You were once rumoured to have gone insane? What really happened?

"If you ask me, do Nigerians like me? I will never tell you Nigerians don't love me. If you are asking for the reason my music doesn't reach out to more Nigerians, i will tell you it is the press who are supposed to feed and correct people with their own information. But if they like, they confuse the audience. So, anywhere i go, they ask me if i am mad. Of course, if they write that i am in a psychiatric hospital in France, if i come back, will Nigerians believe it? Coming from your media, when it goes and they put it on the internet from Nigeria, and i go abroad and they ask me the same questions, is it not bad? If i am not friendly with the press today, is it not part of the problem?
A journalist comes - He wants money and i don't give him money or i don't give him enough. He believes he wants to blackmail me or he believes in me giving him money every time to feed him. Is that my job in life? And if i explain my situation to him, he goes and takes a vendetta and brings his other colleagues and they start a clique to ruin my career except I cooperate with them. That's what's called journalism in Nigeria and when they misinform the public and i have to get my own views across, then i have to look for my own press guys who would write a good story. If that is the career of an artiste in this country, then i am sorry for Nigeria."


The HOT SEAT is a brand new concept from the stable of Simply Samad MEDIA. Here, we bring you different celebrities and personalities from fashion & lifestyle, Music, Movies, Showbiz, Arts, Business, Sports and several other divergent terrains.

We ask a question and bring you the answer right here. There's so much more to come.

Keep those fingers crossed.

The answer for this week's HOT SEAT was culled from SHOWPIECE

Comments