'How We Survive' - Nigerians Speak




HARD TIMES
“How we survive” – Nigerians speak

Despite the declaration of the Nigerian government to work towards attaining the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) that the 189 United Nations member states (including Nigeria) have agreed to achieve by the year 2015, majority of Nigerians still live in abject poverty.

The situation degenerates into disturbing proportions when one realizes that even those who have a regular source of income spend more than they earn.

Ironically, while the ‘eradication of extreme poverty and hunger’ is the first MDG (out of the total 8), Nigeria has not even come close to halving the proportion of people whose income is less than one dollar a day. The inflationary tendency that constantly preys on the nation’s economy is another major demon that cannot simply be wished away.

Simply Samad sampled the impulse of a cross section of Nigerians on how they survive the hard times that pervades the country and their responses were indeed disheartening.

Mr. Niyi Arogundade – Educationist/Consultant
“As far as I am concerned, the situation in the country boils down to one’s level of creativity and resourcefulness. If you continue to wait on the kind of government that we have today, you will miss out. Government is not interested in creating jobs for anybody except their own nephews, cousins, in-law, friends and children. Rather, they are interested in extorting money from average Nigerians with plenty of promises. We all know that these promises will never come to pass. What do you expect from a government that does not have the interest of the poor masses at heart? Look at Lagos for instance, see demolition everywhere. Those who even strive to be resourceful still go home empty handed or at worse, live from hand to mouth. As far as I am concerned, this is a way of harbouring more crimes into the system because government is not doing anything. What I earn cannot provide for my needs. That is why I am an educationist and at the same time, a consultant. I do two jobs because I have a family to cater for. If I base my income on one, my family will strive; even with the two jobs I am doing, things are still not okay. Here in Nigeria, you cannot afford to wait for the government.”

Taofeek Shogeyinbo
“I still live with my mother and that has so far, saved me from a whole lot of trouble. I sell chemicals used in mixing paint. The work is hard but I don’t have a choice. I must do it because I cannot afford to starve. There’s no support from anywhere. In a month, I earn N7, 000 but the money is just too small. I can barely afford to feed myself everyday. I eat in the morning, skip lunch and eat dinner. It is called ‘1-0-1.’ In the morning, if I manage the money I have, I spend N200 on breakfast because the job that I do is physically demanding and you just to eat well especially in the morning in order to do the job. You need energy and if you do not eat, I do not see how you can do the job. At night, I cook at home but if I do not cook, I spend N300 on supper. At night, the hunger makes me eat a lot. So that amounts to N500 everyday. Even as it is, I am still managing it. At the end of the month, I spend N15, 000 on food and I earn N7, 000. This is the hardship that I am talking about. My mother sometimes supports me. She often provides the raw foodstuff that I cook. It is sad that at my age, I still have to go through all this”

Mr. Ifeanyi Nwokwoma – Trader
“I sell clothes. Sometimes, I stay here in Agege from morning till night and sell and hardly sell about three pieces of cloth. I’m a married man and things are hard. I married my wife five years ago. I have a child and I just manage with what I get. My income is not steady. This is the only business I do. In a month, I could make N10, 000 and from this, I pay my rent for two rooms, N4, 000. Out of this money, my wife and baby will eat and I pay my other bills too. One thing I have come to realise is that in this country, irrespective of the condition you find yourself, you just have to adapt. If I get N1 today, as a man, I must ensure that that N1 will serve me and my family.”

Mr. Ben Okolie - Pharmacist
“I am happily married and I have four children. I have never sat down to calculate how much I make but it should be about N70, 000 or N80, 000. There is only one secret one needs to know in order to survive in Nigeria. You must cut your cloth according to your size. That’s the simple truth. I have a car but I know there are so many people out there who live in squalor. The truth is that many Nigerians do not want to work yet they want to live better than those who are even working. Secondly, you must be ready to do what will get you what you want. No man should live beyond his means. I know some people who earn N10, 000 a month and want to spend N30, 000 per month. While some are greedy, others do not have a choice than to borrow just to make ends meet. Such is the level of poverty in the country. Nigerian are suffering and that is the plain truth”

Comments