Mother of 3 and Lover Found Dead in Room With Belt Fastened Around Her Neck

I was once assigned to investigate the mysterious death of a mother of three who was found dead two days after the New Year celebrations and this was the report i filed afterwards. I just thought i should share it with you today.

Read details below:

For occupants of 39, Alade Raji Street, Off Barber Bus Stop, Ijegun Road, Ikotun, Lagos, the year started on a very disturbing and nightmarish note.

Barely 48 hrs into the year, they were stunned to discover a fellow tenant, Mrs. Funmilayo Fatusin and her lover Mr. Niyi Afolabi, both lying dead in the former’s room.
Though Mrs. Fatusin, 45 was believed to have been murdered, the same cannot be said for her lover, Mr. Afolabi, 50 who was at one time speculated to have murdered the woman and then committed suicide by poisoning himself. This was however opposed by tenants who believe the circumstance of the death still remains a mystery as there was no witness to the unfortunate incident.

However, tenants and neighbours revealed that the tragic incident had spread a blanket of fear over the entire neighbourhood.

The landlord, Mr. Timothy Ogundele stated that he was out of town when the incident occurred. “I was stunned when I was informed on phone. The chairman of our landlord association also called me. He told me two people were lying dead in my house. I was ‘waiting upon the Lord’ when I got these calls.”

He however noted that the late Mrs. Fatusin had always been unstable with men. “The man who was found dead with her was the fourth man I’ve known her with. I’m yet to know how she died. A belt was found around her neck. She was obviously murdered but the circumstance is what no one can explain. Their corpses were found by her son. But the media report that the man beat her to death is very questionable. There was no witness.”

The obviously livid landlord berated the tenants for fleeing the house. “If they were the ones who built the house, would they have deserted it the way they did? It was very bad thing to do.”

Speaking on behalf of the tenants, a tenant who craved anonymity revealed how the corpse was found by the deceased’s son. “No body knew what was going on. Her daughter was downstairs selling turkey while she was upstairs with her lover. Her elder brother (Kunle) asked after their mum and was told she was upstairs. When he found the door locked and realized the door was locked from the inside, he went in through the balcony. That was when he saw the corpse and raised an alarm. We all saw the corpses but nobody can explain how or why she and her lover died. Only God knows what really transpired. The corpses were already giving off a foul smell on Thursday when they came to carry the bodies.”

He however had an alibi for his decision to stay away from the house. “How do you expect me to remain in the house? I’ve never seen a corpse before. I also have kids and I can’t allow my kids to stare at the corpse of a woman who has been strangled to death, with blood all over her mouth and neck. It was such a gory sight. My kids are yet to get over it. They don’t feel secure anymore. Now, the slightest thing terrifies them.”

Despite this explanation, Mr. Ogundele still remained angered by the fact that all the tenants deserted the house. “How could you have done that? What if I was out of the country? You all left the house for over 48 hours. If you were the landlord, would you have run away? After all, you’re not the one who killed them.”
The anonymous tenant still maintained his terrified stance saying, “Even when my mum died a natural death, I couldn’t sleep in the house not to talk of someone who was murdered. It’s not the police I’m scared of, it’s my kids I’m looking out for. My first child is just 11 years old. The body wasn’t moved until the second day.”

Speaking about the deceased, the landlord and tenants had fond memories of her. “Oh! She was a lovely woman. She was fondly called Mama Gbemi. She had 3 kids; Kunle, Kemi and Gbemi. She was kind to everybody. She was so warm. Her son who was the first to see her corpse was a very easy going boy. She gave all the tenants chicken for Xmas and New Year. She was very fond of the man. They even wore the same attire a day before they were both found dead. She was a divorcee and always prayed for long life.”

A tenant who spoke under anonymity noted that there might be unseen hands involved. “This man who died in the room with her was known to be her lover. The man had the look of a family man. His wife might be aware and decide to go to the extreme. He was in his 50s from Ondo State. He owns a block industry. Somebody somewhere could have used spiritual influence to manipulate him into murder and suicide. It’s possible but we can’t say for sure.”

The landlord however organized a special cleansing prayer.

A fashion designer who spoke on the incident but craved anonymity believes the woman was murdered. “May God continue to protect us all. The moment the corpses were discovered, most of us just closed our shops and ran. When things like this happen, people are scared to get involved. I just reopened today. The incident is true. The occupants all went underground out of fear. Nobody wants to take any chances. It’s a very disturbing incident.”

Taiwo who resides at Ifelodun Street claims he wasn’t around when the incident occurred. “I’d have told you the entire story. I was Abule Egba when the pipeline incident occurred and I told reporters who came to me all I knew.”

The church standing beside the house, The Prevailing Christian Church of God-Land of Joy was also said to have been deserted.

An old woman who resides on Alade Raji Street couldn’t mask her terror. “I beg you in the name of God, I don’t know anything o. My name? I don’t have a name. Please, you can go now. I have things to do.”
A cobbler, Ola who has shop directly opposite the house also claims he was in Egbe when the incident occurred.

Mrs. Nkiru Onyesi who trades on Ifelodun Street described the incident as mysterious. I heard the woman goes to ‘Seme’ because she trades in turkey and other foodstuff. I’m sure nobody would want to talk to you. Everybody is afraid. I’m even having second thoughts. I’m afraid too because the circumstance is terrifying. I won’t lie to you. If I were a tenant I that house, I would never be able to sleep in that house again. I know she was Yoruba woman. If she were Ibo, I would have known her better. I know all the Ibo women in this area.”

Another woman who lives opposite the structure but pleaded anonymity also shared her thoughts on the incident. “Her body wasn’t taken out until Thursday when they brought the coffin. We are all scared. People no longer sit outside in the evenings. We spend more time indoors. We’re terrified. I can’t tell you my name. Why should I? I don’t live in the house so what’s my own?”

A certain Tunji Olalekan confirmed the incident but added that he never knew the victim in person. “I heard it when I returned. I wasn’t around when it happened. It’s very tragic incident.”

Source: Simply Samad DIARY

Comments