Ogogoro Seller Seeks Divorce, Says: 'My Husband is a Drunkard'



Theatre of the absurd


In what would effortlessly fit into an episode of absurd comedy, a certain Mrs. Latifat Ogundipe has asked a Lagos court to dissolve her marriage over her husband’s drinking habit.

What makes the matter laughable is the fact that Mrs. Ogundipe sells alcoholic drinks to earn a living.

The visibly furious woman however argues that this is no excuse for her husband, Mr. Latifu Ogundipe to live the life of an unrepentant drunkard.
The most worrying thing according to the woman, is the transformation that envelops her husband after his bouts of heavy drinking.

“Once he gets drunk, he turns the house upside down. That’s what happens everytime he gets drunk. It doesn’t end there. Whenever he gets drunk, he becomes Tyson and beats the living daylight out of me. It’s always a bloody affair because I can hardly defend myself. He’s very violent but when he gets drunk, he’s at his worst. He keeps threatening to smash beer bottles on my head. He’s yet to but who knows when he will?”

Speaking on her husband’s alleged irredeemable drinking habit, she lamented the fact that her husband now spends all his valuable time consuming ‘Ogogoro’ and other alcoholic drinks.

“He doesn’t love me anymore. The only thing my husband now loves is booze. He spends more time with the beer bottle than he spends with me. That’s where he channels all his love and affection.”

They’ve been married for barely six years yet Mrs. Ogundipe claims their marriage has been one of the worst things that ever happened to her.

“I don’t love him. Please dissolve this marriage and let me live in peace.”

The 30-year-old trader told the court that her husband’s recent line of action was one factor that murdered any hope of reconciliation that might have been in existence before now.

“He says if I divorce him, he’s going to cut my life short. I know my husband and I know what he’s capable of but I know the powers that be will not sit back and watch a man murder his ex-wife.”

Due to the man’s refusal to honour the court summons, the court president adjourned the matter for court decision.

Source: Simply Samad's DIARY

Comments