Seun Kuti is Shocked



On February 18, 2013, popular Afrobeat singer and son of late Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Seun Kuti woke at his Lagos residence and had looked forward to the Nigerian press honouring the memory of his father whose name resonates far beyond the African continent.

However, to his dismay, not a word of acknowledgement was dedicated to the man who is globally considered the King of Afrobeat and this was one thing his son found very shocking.

For those still wondering what specific memories the date, February 18 holds for Seun Kuti, he captured it during a recent chat with Simply SAMAD in Ikeja. 

“Today is the anniversary of the burning of Kalakuta as well – February 18 and it’s not in any of the papers; I’m amazed. Normally, they always dedicate some articles to him. Like I said, today is the anniversary and there’s a little event at the museum and I will be there.”

The singer marked his 31st birthday on January 21 this year and celebrated it with friends and loved ones in Lagos by throwing a party. He described it as fun and interesting and added on a very light note.

“On my birthdays, I usually don’t get any gifts because everybody is broke from Christmas and New Year. They just come and eat all my food and take my drinks,” he said smiling.

He also revealed that plans are in top gear for his next album.

“It’s the beginning of the year. Right now, we are in the process of working on my album. A lot of work has gone into it,” he affirmed.

Comments