Idris Alba Reveals How He Started Drugs and Nelson Mandela Role


While some might've hedged their answer, Elba is nothing but honest. Given that he's also a DJ, he's frank that "drug culture is a big part of the house music scene that I deejay now. Loads of DJs get smashed," he tells the magazine. "At first I bypassed drugs. I didn’t start smoking weed until later in life. ... I mean, I’m not gonna lie - I’ve tried everything ... I’ve tried it all. I played one of the biggest drug dealers in the world on TV, so you think I’d know what I was talking about."
But later this year, Elba is going to step into the shoes of a freedom fighter when he portrays Nelson Mandela in November's biopic, "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom."

"This is one of the most courageous and selfless men you’re ever going to meet," Elba said of Mandela. "If I said to you, 'Listen, there’s a whole generation of people who are suffering, and if you give up 27 years of your life and spend that time in prison, you could help them,' the likelihood is you’d say, 'No, I’m all right. I’m kind of comfortable here.' What I found out from him is, he was that guy."

"Mandela," which also stars Naomie Harris as Winnie Mandela, opens in select theaters on November 29.

Culled from CNN


Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @simplysamad for more exciting gist, photos, interviews, reviews, jokes, quotes and other entertaining content | BB pin: 2B3D28E3.
By: SAMOD BIOBAKU

Comments