Ask anyone with a good knowledge of those who constitute heroes and villains of the Nigerian entertainment industry to name one singer who doubles as a photographer and has maintained a sterling record against scandals, and the name TY Bello should readily come into the conversation.
There are different things that make this gifted photographer stand out from the crowd of talented lover of the art that Nigeria boasts of and we will take a look at the fact, strengths and defining elements that has earned TY Bello a place of prestige, respect and intense adoration in the hearts Nigerians all over the world.
- TY Bello believes that the crisis in Nigeria is beyond political
- She graduated from the University of Lagos
- She has a conscious flair for uplifting songs
- She is by choice, a Nigerian, photographer and philanthropist
- TY Bello was a member of Nigeria’s celebrated urban Gospel group, KUSH.
- While TY Bello was a member of KUSH, the now defunct group had Lara George, Emem and Dapo Torimiro as its members
- TY Bello and other members of the group went their separate ways after their debut album
- She released her solo album, Green Land in 2008
- TY Bello and her group members (while with KUSH) were the first to perform at the Nigerian corner of the Notting Hill Carnival in 2003
- She once had a conversation that impacted on her so much; she dedicated a song to it. The song was titled Ekundayo and speaking on this song, she said, “The song is about a conversation between Toyin Subair myself and Mrs. Ekundayo (owner of Ekundayo Children’s Home, an orphanage in Isanlu, Kogi State). That conversation made me realize how empty my life was. I saw someone who was doing a lot more than I was and had much less than I did.”
- She released one of her biggest singles, The Future in 2011.
- She describes the bombings in Nigerian by terrorist sects as a “metaphor of the hopelessness and impending tragedy that may lie ahead if we do not become more engaged in building the country we desire.”
- She is a Director of Link-a-child; an NGO dedicated to propagating information on orphanages in Nigeria and soliciting sponsorship on their behalf.
- She has taken pictures of Presidents, Governors, celebrities and A-Class celebrities
- In 2011, she teamed up with Nigerian make up brand and training company, House of Tara to launch the Jubilee Collection brand of make-up.
- TY Bello is considered on the A-list of prominent and influential Nigerian photographers
- For those who might have ever wondered if TY Bello is indeed a photographer and singer, she addressed this when she said “Art is about collecting experiences and expressing them. For me music and photography are similar art forms. I collect experiences, stir them in myself and express it in my own language. Just like my photography, music is my language.”
- One of the most visible yet unique parts of her body is her hair.
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @simplysamad for more exciting gist, photos, interviews, reviews, jokes, quotes and other entertaining content | BB pin: 2B3D28E3
By SAMOD BIOBAKU
By SAMOD BIOBAKU